Inside Jackie Collins’ LA Life (OUT Traveler)
Jackie Collins’ Seven Favorite Things To Do In LA
The author shares her seven favorite things about living in the City of Angels.
By Andrew Belonsky
Las Vegas is in some ways an even more ostentatious suburb of Los Angeles. The cities are about a five hour drive from one another, but the route well-worn from decades of escapes in both directions. If you’re leaving Las Vegas, chances are you’re headed to Los Angeles, where novelist Jackie Collins has made her home.
Though born in London, glamorous Collins is pure Hollywood, even down to her sunny disposition.
“I have a very positive outlook on life,” Collins told Out during a recent interview. “You wake up in the morning and every morning is an adventure; you don’t know what’s going to happen that day. Things happen in a flash.”
When the author isn’t tucked away in her Beverly Hills mansion crafting her next novel or touring the world to promote her work, she’s exploring her adopted home. Here, she shares her seven favorite things about living in Los Angeles.
1. The Restaurants: My four favorite restaurants are Mr. Chow, which has the most amazing food and a great ambiance. Then Craig’s on Melrose, because it has the best food in town, a great club atmosphere, and the owner, Craig, is a trip unto himself… Then Cecconi’s if you’re into amazing Italian food and delish pizza… And then there’s always the wonderful Spago!
2. The Nature: The great thing about LA is that it is near to everything! Beaches, desert, mountains and skiing. There is always something exciting to do for the weekend.
3. The Silver Screens: Movie theaters in LA are fab, especially The Grove and Century City, which are my two favorites.
4. The Written Words: Bookstores are a dying breed, but we’ll always have Book Soup on Sunset and Barnes & Noble at The Grove.
5. The Drives: I love driving along Pacific Coast Highway listening to Usher and Drake and Sade. What a wonderful way to spend the day.
6. The Cast: People watching at the Santa Monica Promenade… and “Muscle Beach” of course!
7. The Gays: The Abbey is my new favorite hang for drinks and fun!